CIPUSA is a United States Department of State authorized J-1 training visa sponsoring organization. CIPUSA has the ability to issue the required documents needed to obtain a J-1 training visa and to facilitate training programs for international professionals in the United States.

What is a J-1 training visa? A J-1 training visa is a cultural exchange visa issued by the U. S. Department of State that allows foreign professionals to train with an American organization for 1-18 months. The J-1 training visa is intended to facilitate exchanges that allow individuals from around the world to gain an understanding of U.S. culture, work practices and institutions. To train in the United States legally you are required to have a J-1 training visa. CIPUSA is authorized by the U. S. Department of State as a J-1 training sponsor. The J-1 training visa is a non-immigrant exchange visitor’s training visa that is valid for a specific period of time, no more than eighteen months. Non-immigrant status implies that the trainee will not stay in the United States when the training program is complete and intends to return to his or her country of citizenship.

CIPUSA does not allow trainees to use the Exchange Visitors Program for ordinary employment or work purposes. 

What is the purpose of J-1 training programs? The purpose of J-1 exchange programs is to increase mutual understanding and provide opportunities for cultural and professional learning between citizens of the United States and citizens of other countries by means of educational cultural exchange. CIPUSA’s focus is on enhancing the exchange visitor’s skills in his or her specialty occupation through participation in a structured training program.

In what training fields can CIPUSA provide J-1 sponsorship? CIPUSA can provide exchange-training programs in a variety of field for up to 18 months. Training fields include:
Architecture Health-related Occupations*
        Arts & Culture                                           Information Media
Business Law
Commerce  Library Science
Communications Management
Education** Public Administration
Engineering Social Services*
Finance Special Education*

*CIPUSA can provide trainees with positions in health-related occupations, such as learning how to create and use medical devices or learning about program planning and implementation in health education. CIPUSA regretfully cannot offer programs that involve physical interaction with patients or direct patient care.

**CIPUSA can arrange for training for those interested in curriculum development or educational administration. CIPUSA regretfully cannot offer programs that involve direct teaching.

What qualifications must an applicant have to apply for a J-1 training visa sponsorship? Applicant must meet the following criteria:
• You are at least 21 years old
• You are applying from your home country
• You have a college degree or professional certificate from a non-U.S. institution in a field related to your training and one year of relevant work experience outside the U.S. OR at least 5 years of related work experience outside of the U.S.
• You have the ability to understand and communicate in the English language.

If I have been on a previous J-1 training visa may I apply again? Yes, you may apply for another J-1 training visa sponsorship provided that it has been more than 2 years since the end of your last J-1 visa training program and you meet the qualifications above.

How long can I be on a J-1 training visa? The maximum length of a J-1 training visa is 18 months.

Can I extend my training program? CIPUSA will consider extension if the training site can prove the need for additional training. CIPUSA cannot issue an extension beyond the 18-month program limit.

Can I bring my family with me while on a CIPUSA program? CIPUSA will issue J-2 visas for family and spouses only for the Global Partners Program.

What is SEVIS? SEVIS stands for “The Student and Exchange Visitor Information System”. Each exchange visitor issued a DS-2019 must pay a SEVIS I-901 fee of $180. Participant may elect to go online (www.fmjfee.com) to pay the SEVIS fee or have CIPUSA do it and reimburse CIPUSA.

Are there any other fees? Yes. Other fees vary depending on the country and special circumstances. Always check with the U.S. embassy/consulate where your visa approval interview will be held to determine if additional monies are required.

Am I required to have health insurance coverage while on a J-1 training program? Yes, all J-1 trainees (and their dependents) are required to have health insurance that meets the U.S. Department of State requirements. The minimum requirements for medical insurance coverage are the following:
• Medical benefits of at least $50,000 per accident or illness
• Repatriation of remains in the amount of $7,500
• Medical evacuation coverage in the amount of $10,000
• 100% prescription drug coverage
• A deductible that does not exceed $500 per accident or illness
• Policy must be underwritten by an insurance corporation with an A.M. Best rating of “A-“ or above, an Insurance Solvency International, Ltd. rating of “A-i” or above, a Standard and Poor’s Claims-paying Ability rating of “A-“ or above, or a Weiss Research, Inc. rating of B+ or above, or such other rating as the Department of State may from time to time specify.

How do I obtain health insurance? CIPUSA offers trainees the required U.S. Department of State J-1 training visa health insurance through HTH Worldwide Insurance.